About Indonesia

Economic Snapshot

  • Real GDP growth of over 4% in 2009 (Euromonitor reports).
  • Inflation of 4.4% in 2009.
  • A stable and strenghtening Indonesian Rupiah (IDR) exchange rate against many major currencies.
  • Decreased unemployment rate to 9% in 2009.
  • Approximately one-third of household disposable income above $5,000 as of 2007.


Indonesia’s population currently stands at approximately 230 million and is distributed unevenly over five major islands. It is the fourth largest country, and has the largest Muslim population, in the world. Approximately 60% of the population is concentrated on the island of Java, the smallest of the five major islands. Jakarta, the capital city of Indonesia is located on the northwest coast of Java.


Higher education in Indonesia is on a steep increase as evidenced by some 12.8 million Indonesians who completed higher education in 2007. This represents an increase of over 60% since 1995. There are an increasing number of private universities offering business and IT related disciplines. Tertiary degree offerings are also seen to be expanding. This follows from demands from professionals who view skill set enhancement as the way to stay competitive in a difficult job market.

Approximately 40% of the population is below 25. It is, therefore, a country with a tremendous educational spending potential.

Spending growth on education in real terms of over 180% from 2000 to 2007 demonstrated the increasing awareness of education. As of the beginning of 2010, the Indonesian Open University has 620,000 registered students (approximately 80% concentrated on teachers training courses/degrees and the other 20% spread over different subjects).

Technology infrastructure

Internet coverage in Indonesia as of 2007 stood at 27 millions users (4.5% penetration rate). It is projected that the number of household internet enabled computer will cover approximately 43 million users (17.5% penetration rate) in 2015, following current ongoing heavy telecommunication infrastucture investments.

Go to Why Choose Us, About Us, Contact Us

Permanent link to this article: http://chantryedu.co.uk/?page_id=13